I’ve gotten a lot of calls and e-mails about the upcoming BoldasLIVE event this Sunday, September 16 featuring The Family Stand. One of the consistent questions is, “What’s an ‘Urbanista’?” So, rather than try to explain Michaela and all of her fabulousness, I thought I’d let you hear it directly from her.
I passed the mic, and here are some of the things that we discussed:
- “Urbanista” as a lens through which she sees the world
- Creation of Black identity today
- Black rock as a term that helps organize culture
- Remember that music should also be fun
- Her involvement with Essence Magazine’s “Take Back the Music” Initiative
- Activism and Black style
- “Black Girls Rock” Foundation
- Why she’s excited about sitting down with The Family Stand
- Where you can find out more about her online
Originally, I was going to split this interview into two parts because of its 25-minute length, but decided against it. After all, you can download the file and listen on the go. You’ll see that her excitement is infectious and why I know she’s really going to “bring it” on Sunday.